MODEL DISCONTINUED AUTUMN 2011 AND NOW UNAVAILABLE
WE HAVE A RENTAL MZ-RH1 FOR YOU TO EASILY DIGITISE YOUR MINIDISC ARCHIVES
NOW UPLOAD SOFTWARE FOR MACS! DOWNLOAD HERE
I heard what is said to be the story behind the MZ-RH1. For years the MD engineers were restricted in what they could do by Sony bureaucrats who were worried about music rights and the need to restrict copying. Then the engineers rebelled and developed the RH1 in secret - the machine they had always wanted to build but were not allowed to. They presented the prototype to management after the money was spent and it was put into production to recoup the costs. They were forbidden to do any more development work on Minidiscs without express permission from management. It seems likely that permission may not be given.
I had always assumed something similar - that there was a department within Sony carrying on developing Minidisc, but they either had been forgotten about or were so small they slipped under the corporate radar. But the result is the same:
- the MZ-RH1 is almost certainly the best and last Minidisc recorder ever
- Illuminated OLED display on main body through which all recording-related information (including level meters) is available.
- Full backward compatability with std-MD system -- records SP/Mono/LP2/LP4 format audio to std-MD discs and uploads std-MD recordings to PC in PCM, Hi-SP or ATRAC3 format audio files. Uploading is in no way restricted (unlimited uploads of mic, line and digital recordings are permitted) and speeds of 10X (SP->PCM), 16X (mono->PCM), 15X (LP2->ATRAC3) and 26X (LP4->ATRAC3) have been observed.
- Records and uploads all Hi-MD format audio (PCM/Hi-SP/Hi-LP).
- Date/Time stamp recording.
- Switchable Headphone/Line-level output.
- Digital Pitch Control (change playback speed without changing pitch) -50/+100%
- HD Digital amp.
- All mode settings (e.g. auto/manual recording level selector, headphone/line output, etc.) retained over power cycle and disc change.
- Mic sensitivity (high/low).
- Mic sensitivity and manual recording level can be adjusted on-the-fly, while recording is underway.
- Spectrum analyzer display mode available during playback.
- AGC on/off. AGC mode: Standard/Music
- Dynamic normalizer (equalize track-to-track volume differences).
- A-B repeat.
- 2 custom EQ settings.
- Track-mark rehearsal mode available.
- Battery charging via USB port.
- Non-skid rubber feet on base.
- Metal case.
- LiIon battery.
- No external battery attachment available.
- Ships with SonicStage 3.4 software.
- Can be used as a USB drive for storing data.
- USB 2.0 interface.
- USB cable
- Digital optical cable
- AC Adaptor
- RM-MC38EL remote control with LCD and backlight (RM-MC35ELK in Japan)
- Carrying pouch
- Software on CD-ROM
- Headphone amp: 5mw+5mw
Hi-MD Battery life PCM/Hi-SP/Hi-LP/MP3
std-MD Battery life SP/LP2/LP4