Text from Roland.
This item was formerly called the Edirol R-44.
The Roland R-44 is designed for professional use within a very conveniently sized package.
Capture up to 4 channels of uncompressed audio with selectable bit depths (16-bit or 24-bit) and sampling frequencies (44.1kHz/48kHz/88.2kHz/96kHz). The R-44 employs SD cards or large capacity SDHC cards as the recording media. No moving parts enables the most silent and reliable operation possible.
Although the R-44 is compact, all necessary functions are included. Built-in high quality microphones and speakers make recording and monitoring without external devices possible.
An on-board limiter helps suppress sudden peaks in sound from an input source. A low-cut filter is included to help prevent things like wind noise or mic handling noise. Studio class effects such as 3-Band EQ, 6-Band GEQ, Enhancer or DeEsser can be used as tools to greatly improve audio quality. Effects can be applied while recording or simply for monitoring/playback.
The Pre-Record function buffers input signals for a certain amount of time. When the REC button is pressed, the material from the previous few seconds (selectable) is included. This also helps reduce sound bites at the beginning of a recording by not having to start the recorder too early.
The combo input jacks (4) supports the connection of both XLR and 1/4 inch plugs. XLR inputs are equipped with phantom power. Eleven steps of input sensitivity enable the connection of various devices with a variety of inputs levels from microphones to musical instruments. High quality analog circuitry in the preamp ensures superior recording results.
The high contrast, high response organic LED screen, viewable from wide angles ensures fluid operation in field recording situations. The high response of level meters makes precise level adjustments possible. All the necessary switches and knobs are located on the top and front panels. Self-lit buttons on all the key controls enable clear-cut recording operations.
The Control Sync terminal enables synchronized operation of 2 units. Control the second unit from the master by simply connecting two with a stereo mini cable. The master unit can remotely control REC standby, REC start and REC stop of the slave unit. This function enables 8-channel recording in a compact space and at an affordable price.
The R-44 can be mounted on computers with a simple USB 2.0 connection. It is seen as an USB storage device on a computer. You can copy data back and forth with a simple drag & drop operation.
The R-44 can be operated with 3 types of power supply, AC adaptor, external battery and AA batteries. Four hours* of operation is possible with NiMH or alkaline batteries. * at 16-bit/44.1kHz stereo. No phantom power and pre-record disabled.
Features at a glance:
- A compact, solid state, four channel field recorder.
- Pro quality four channels recordings to large capacity SDHC cards.
- Built-in limiter, low-cut filter and studio class effects.
- Pre-Record function ensures you never miss that important moment again.
- Combo type analog jacks and digital output enables connection with a variety of devices.
- High-contrast Organic LED display and operation-oriented user interface.
- Capture eight channels by linking two units.
- Four hours of recording with four AA batteries.
- Link to computer via high speed USB.
- Built-in stereo microphones and monitor speakers.
- In Bulit-In Effects
- 3-band parametric EQ ; allows precise equalization with high/low shelving and peaking
- 6 point frequency band equalization; ideal for recording
- Minimizes noise during low audio levels, cuts low frequency noise
- Cleary defines and enhances sound; good for dialogue
- Cuts hissing, smoothens the sound, makes audio level uniform
- Generates stereo mix with specified spread from inputs of Mid-Side Microphones
- 3-Band EQ
- 6-Band Graphic EQ
- Noise Gate
- Comp & DeEsser
- MS Mic Mixing
* Effects can be applied on both input and output
* Effects are not available while sample rate is set to 192kHz